August 20- Anatomy Scan

     This morning was our 18 Week Anatomy Scan with Maternal Fetal Medicine at Winnie Palmer. We are always so excited to see the babies again! (For those of you who don't know, the Anatomy scan is done between weeks 18-22 and measures the head, body, four chambers of the heart, kidneys, bladder, stomach, brain, spine, and sex organs. They also do a survey of the organs, including the umbilical cord, to ensure that they are developing normally (or identifies any potential problems as soon as possible). The sonographer also looks at the amniotic fluid levels, the location of the placenta, and the fetal heart rate.)

     While Baby Girl was cooperative as usual, Baby Boy was being difficult as he always is during ultrasounds. He flips around and moves into positions that make it tough for the ultrasound tech to collect the data needed for testing. It is always so amazing to see them in there. No matter how many times we see them, we are still blown away that there are TWO in there! So while the nurse was working on the ultrasound, our MFM doctor came in. It was the first time getting to meet him so we weren't really sure what to expect. He was very nice and took his time answering all the questions I had for him. I first filled him in on the background story of me being diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure earlier this year and how four different doctors told me I couldn't have children because my ovaries weren't working and my hormone levels were post menopausal. And that after only three months of taking herbs and doing acupuncture I was naturally pregnant with twins. He said I am not the first person he's heard of that became pregnant after being given that diagnosis and questioned whether or not using hormone levels to make such a diagnosis was viable in the grand scheme of things. I was about to say my usual catch phrase when discussing that topic, "just goes to show you that doctors don't know everything," but I decided against it as I didn't want to insult him and his profession!

     I had a list of questions to ask and he did a good job of answering them thoroughly. He brought up that I am considered high-risk because I'm carrying twins and I said that I did know that, but was curious as to what is high-risk about it. He went on to say that humans are made to carry only one baby at a time, so when there are multiples in there it is more taxing on the body, which is why they will be monitoring me more frequently. Labor is the body's response to stress (I did not know that!) and usually happens when the uterus is expanded to its maximum and the body can't take anymore. So because there are two in there, the body is being effected twice as much as having a singleton pregnancy and therefore can go into preterm labor more easily. He also said there is a higher risk of birth defects with multiples, but frequent monitoring watches out for things like that. He said some things I already knew... like that they won't let me go past 38 weeks and that the babies should be fully developed and not need to be in the NNICU if delivered from 35 weeks on.

     This led to me asking about delivery and what percentage of twins have to be delivered via c-section. He said at Winnie Palmer about 2/3 of twins are c-section and I expressed how I would much rather go the vaginal route if possible, but that I understand it's ultimately not up to me. That I know it would be a lot more pain during the birth, but I would rather get it over with than have a long and challenging recovery. He did say that mothers who really want to go the vaginal route stand a better chance of it happening that way. I told him my concern about delivering one vaginally and then the other one stressing out and having to be c-sectioned out. That's a big nooo thank you! He explained that doesn't necessarily have to happen if you have a skilled OB because even if the other baby is breech, it is easier to go in and pull the baby out by her feet than to cut me open to get her out. While that makes me feel better, the whole thought of someone reaching up there and yanking a baby out conjures up images of a construction crew in hard hats and some sort of bulldozer scooper being involved. 
Although I am sure at that point in time I won't care how the hell they get the baby out!

     I moved on to the topic of weight gain and exercise. As of today, since getting pregnant I have gained 24 pounds. Granted, I lost a lot of weight this past year. I was pretty fit and skinny when I found out I was pregnant (for the first time in my life, go figure!). I told him I eat healthy and workout 6 days a week and he said while I am on the high side of the recommended weight gain for twin pregnancy, I am still within range and to just keep exercising and eating right. I've gained 4 pounds since I was there last, which was a month ago. But... I was on a different type of scale so I would really like to see what it says on the regular doctor scale (that I have always felt was a big fat liar!) but just to have an accurate comparison. I mentioned how I've read about bed rest being a common thing to happen to those carrying twins and to my relief he said he doesn't like to put women on bed rest unless it's absolutely necessary- meaning either having cervix issues or high blood pressure. That is wonderful news because that is a HUGE fear of mine. I am way too active to ever be confined to lying in bed 24/7! 

     He also brought up the test results from the Modified Sequential Screening I had last month. The babies have a 1 in 6000 chance of Down's Syndrome and a 1 in 10,000 chance of Trisomy. Those are some REALLY good odds compared to others I have heard. So because they were so good, no further testing is needed. YAY! That is definitely comforting.

   After the Q & A session the doctor turned his attention to all the ultrasound pics that were taken and he said everything looked good. That they are still small so he will look again in a month. And BTW, Baby Girl weighs a half a pound and Baby Boy is a half pound plus one ounce! Pretty cool! The Girl is on top and is currently laying sideways across my belly button area (I didn't realize they were so high up there now!) and the Boy is at the bottom with his head facing down. So they look like the number 7 the way they are laying. I asked the doctor when I should start feeling them and he said within the next couple of weeks I should definitely start feeling them move and kick. I still haven't even had flutters yet! Of course, be careful what I wish for, right? LOL. Oh and cervix is holding steady, so no concerns there. An excellent bill of health for all three of us!

     So that's about it. We made another appointment for a month from now so they will be a little bigger then. After that I'll either have one more visit with MFM or skip it and be released back to my OB. Then at 32 weeks I will be back at MFM for weekly monitoring until birth.

    Super happy everything is going well. It is always a little nerve-wracking going to these appointments, but at the same time it eases our minds to see the little buggers again.


Here are the pics from today's ultrasound. They aren't all that great, really. But these are the best ones out of the bunch...


Baby Girl's Head

Baby Girl Money Shot


 Baby Boy's Head (not very clear!)

                                                    Baby Boy Money Shot



     

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your twins! They truly are a miracle. I found your blog while browsing The Bump earlier today. I am in a very similar situation to you. After two rounds of IVF to conceive our son due to diminished ovarian reserve, we decided we were done with fertility treatments and wanted to try more natural methods to try to conceive again. I took many of the same supplements as you, along with going gluten-free and sugar-free, and ended up spontaneously pregnant with twins. I look forward to following your journey. If you're interested in my story, you can link to my blog through my screen name. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petunia,

      Thank you!! It is SO cool to hear someone else went through the same thing and got pregnant naturally with twins! It's not every day you hear about people having twins that wasn't through IVF. I tell ya, there is definitely something to all the natural supplements. You'd think doctors would jump on that band wagon and research it more before giving such a devastating diagnosis with so little hope. I am DEFINITELY interested in your story as well and will start following your blog!

      Stay in touch!!

      Have a fantastic weekend!

      Cole

      Delete
    2. Petunia,

      Thank you!! It is SO cool to hear someone else went through the same thing and got pregnant naturally with twins! It's not every day you hear about people having twins that wasn't through IVF. I tell ya, there is definitely something to all the natural supplements. You'd think doctors would jump on that band wagon and research it more before giving such a devastating diagnosis with so little hope. I am DEFINITELY interested in your story as well and will start following your blog!

      Stay in touch!!

      Have a fantastic weekend!

      Cole

      Delete
  2. Jeannette,
    Congrats! I think what you have achieved is amazing and you are giving hope to many women who have just been diagnosed and are feeling lost and depressed the more and more they read up on this. I am feeling so lost, I was just diagnosed at 22 years old, many doctors have told me it would be impossible but I just do not feel in my heart that it is true, I feel like there is a way I can achieve a pregnancy of my own, and I was looking for advice and recommendations from a success story like you. I was hoping you could contact me with some suggestions. my email is ginamariekane@gmail.com.

    thanks
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina,

      Thank you for taking the time to write! It IS quite depressing all the information out there on POF. If it wasn't for other women writing about their success stories, I would have given up hope for sure. I will send you an email shortly and we can chat anytime you want. I will gladly give you any suggestions and just be there for support whenever you need it.

      Have a wonderful weekend and stay positive!
      -Cole

      Delete
    2. Gina,

      Thank you for taking the time to write! It IS quite depressing all the information out there on POF. If it wasn't for other women writing about their success stories, I would have given up hope for sure. I will send you an email shortly and we can chat anytime you want. I will gladly give you any suggestions and just be there for support whenever you need it.

      Have a wonderful weekend and stay positive!
      -Cole

      Delete
  3. Congratulations your story brings so much hope! Keep telling your story its what so many people need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela,

      Thank you! It is always so wonderful to hear my story is bringing hope to others. Reading other women's success stories is the only thing that gave me the strength and determination to keep fighting the fight.

      Wishing you the best of luck in your journey!

      -Cole

      Delete
    2. Angela,

      Thank you! It is always so wonderful to hear my story is bringing hope to others. Reading other women's success stories is the only thing that gave me the strength and determination to keep fighting the fight.

      Wishing you the best of luck in your journey!

      -Cole

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've got a great doctor! :) I'm so happy for you that things are going so well.
    If it helps, I also really hoped for a vaginal delivery and I ended up switching OBs to a dr who was comfortable and experienced with breech extractions of a second twin, just in case. (I have a blog post about that with some links to research on it if you're interested.) My Baby A was vertex the whole 3rd tri but my Baby B kept flipping back and forth the last 5 weeks. Both boys were vertex when my induction started but B did end up flipping again at the last minute. The breech extraction really wasn't bad at all though! I got to hold Baby A on my chest while the OB did the ultrasound, discovered B's position, and pulled him out. I was very glad I had ended up getting an epidural though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macchiatto,

      Thank you for taking the time to write. I DO have a great doctor! I LOVE her!

      I am ABSOLUTELY interested in reading your blog posts! I am always looking to read others' personal experiences with twins, as I feel utterly clueless with this whole thing! Did you have identical twins or fraternal? If you'd like you can post them here, or email me personally at coleyhay@gmail.com

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      -Cole

      Delete
    2. Macchiatto,

      Thank you for taking the time to write. I DO have a great doctor! I LOVE her!

      I am ABSOLUTELY interested in reading your blog posts! I am always looking to read others' personal experiences with twins, as I feel utterly clueless with this whole thing! Did you have identical twins or fraternal? If you'd like you can post them here, or email me personally at coleyhay@gmail.com

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      -Cole

      Delete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete