Say Cheese!

I have to say it's been the most amazing thing seeing the twins smile. It seems I can get them to do it quite frequently now and it gives me such a warm and fuzzy feeling. Especially in the morning when I first interact with each of them. They look at me all bright-eyed and flash a genuine smile of recognition, happy to see Mommy. It melts my heart.

With River, if I smile big and talk to him in a sweet animated voice (and he's in focus mode) he will flash me the biggest grin it makes my face hurt from smiling so much! He opens his mouth wide in such a way that he  just oozes joy.



Riley is similar only she smiles at objects a lot more than her brother. When she's happy it definitely shows in her face as it lights up!



Since it's just the me and the twins most days of the week, I talk to them  all day long. I know talking to them is crucial to their development and their pediatrician actually said it directly affects their brains, as it causes an increase in production of the fatty tissue needed for brain development. So we talk to them constantly. Since for me that is pretty much from the time they wake up in the mornings until they go to bed at night, I won't lie, I'm pretty exhausted by the end of the day. It reminds me of my teaching days only it's a never-ending work day. Lately, when either of them is at their peak alertness during the day, they have been responding when I talk to them with coos and other various sounds. I talk about all kinds of things with them (most of the time I probably sound crazy since they don't understand me) but ever since they were born I have also had a few key words and phrases I say to them in hopes that someday they'll be able to understand. One thing I say frequently is "I love you." I probably tell them a gazillion times a day. Recently River has been babbling back at me and I swear sometimes it's like he's trying to say it back! (Yes, I know it's a little far fetched but either way he's definitely trying to communicate in his own way!).


Riley also does her own thing that Riv doesn't. It just started this week. When she gets excited about something she lets out this little gaspy squeal. It seems like a primitive form of a giggle and it makes me smile from ear to ear!



They are both growing and changing in different ways, which shows just how unique they are even though they were created and developed in the womb simultaneously. Says a lot about how much our DNA plays a role in our personalities! Can't wait to see how they grow and change over the next months and years!

1 comment: