First Few Days of Parenthood

So it's been five days since we got the twins home on Christmas, and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Sure, it is tiring having to feed the babies every 3 to 4 hours around-the-clock, but all in all there's not much to it. We are getting 3 to 4 hours of sleep in between feedings so it makes being awake for an hour to feed and change them not so terribly bad. Of course I see this now as my husband has had the time off and will have this next week off as well. Having your best friend and partner in crime up with you in the middle of the night makes it a lot easier to handle. When she goes back to work, even though my mom and then his mom will be here for a couple weeks at a time it won't nearly be as fun as having mommy and daddy tag-teaming it
together. Short you will be home in a few days after work but I'm not going to meet him get up and eliminate has to work long day the following morning. Even though he says he would gladly help, realistically I don't want him to be exhausted and out of it at work. I did try to see if there was a way to feed the twins at the same time by myself yesterday while G ran to the store. I was able to do it, but it was rather a comedy of errors trying! I tried cropping them up with the Boppy pillows in all different types of ways and one baby's head would fall to the side, one would start to roll off the pillow… It was quite comical. I think tackling that will be easier once the twins have more had control. I'm still going to look online and see if anyone has posted videos of how to do that while they are still little, so we shall see what I find. 

But so far my husband and I have been having a lot of fun with this whole parenting thing. We fall more in love with these babies with every passing day and are getting the hand of everything. We've come up with a system and it seems to be working pretty well (thanks to a lot of research I did beforehand of reading other twin moms' tips and tricks). We're tired but not terribly. It comes in waves and depends how much sleep we get between feedings through the night. The days sure do fly by though. You'd think being up every few hours round the clock would make the days seem longer, but it's been quite the opposite. Of course they say time flies when you're having fun. It's definitely been a learning process and it's truly humbling to have two helpless little people rely on you to survive. 

But we must be doing something right.... We had our first pediatrician appointment and it went fabulously! The doctor was recommended by our neighbor (a very close friend) and we absolutely loved her!! She is a British woman probably around 50, very soft spoken and calls the babies "pea" and "pumpkin" and is like a snake charmer with them! River crying his usual cranky self and the minute she started taking to him he stopped. The twins got a perfect bill of health, AND gained several ounces each! River is 5lbs 5oz and Riley is 4lbs 4oz! Woohoo babies!

We have a follow up next week, so hopefully they'll gain even more!!

We shall see!





No comments:

Post a Comment