The End of the Beginning

Well, the baby vacation has come to an end and G has to go back to work tomorrow. I'm really bummed. This has seriously been the best week of our lives! Everyone told us how the first few months were going to be hell, but honestly with us tag-teaming everything it hasn't been bad at all. Getting up in the middle of the night isn't so bad with your bestie by your side. Some nights are harder than others depending on the timing of their feeds. For example, if we feed them at midnight they wake up again at 3:30/4 and then again around 7:30/8 and then we sleep until they wake up again. Nights like those are good. But if they feed at say 10:30ish they are up again between 1:30-2:30 and then again at 5:30 or 6....  it just makes for a much more tiring night. Sometimes they sleep four straight hours but other times it's only three. That makes it tougher, too. But all in all it's really not all that terrible. However, the best part has been doing all this with my husband. We both hop out of bed at the same time when we hear the "baby alarm" (River) go off and if one of us is a bit more groggy than the other, we pick up the slack and get things started. We each take a baby, change their diaper and feed them side by side. Sometimes we are fighting to stay awake and periodically nod off, other times we chat, and sometimes we watch a recorded sitcom to keep us alert. Take that and divide it into every few hours 24/7 and that sums up the past 12 days. You'd think that would be exhausting and monotonous, but I tell you what... it has been wonderful. As tired as we get sometimes, we never once argued or complained. If anything it brought us even closer together. We actually did a lot of laughing. Whether it was from the startling barnyard-like sounds the twins make, or hearing the dreaded squirt sound after just putting a new diaper on one of them, or just us getting the giggles from being deliriously tired we had such a good time every day, all day. So now that it's time for G to return to work, I am feeling a bit sad. Of course I am still super happy to have the babies home and ready to take charge and be the best mommy I can be, but I know it's going to be a lot harder without my partner in crime helping me out. Sure he will help when he comes home in the evenings or before he leaves for work in the morning, but it's not the same as kicking it together in our pajamas all day, binge watching our favorite shows or sneaking off for a quick bedroom romp while the babies are asleep. And I know nights are going to be the hardest part getting up by myself. He wants to help, but I won't let him. He needs to be fresh and "on" for work, as he's the bread winner of the family. My mom is coming to help for two weeks and then my mother-in-law is flying down for three weeks, so I will have plenty of help. It's not quite the same, but I am definitely grateful for it. But I knew G's time off would fly and life goes on, so while I am feeling punky about it I'm ready to put on my full-time mom hat and take on the world, two little babies at a time!





No comments:

Post a Comment